The contrast between the black-and-white image at the center of the composition and the contemporary color photograph around it draws the viewer’s attention to the consistencies of and changes to the Coates Esplanade over time. Two completely different works that are icons of upper campus dominate the image. In Dinh’s composition Large Interior Form, Sir Henry Moore’s sixteen-foot bronze sculpture, appears out of focus at the right. One of the most distinctive and important works of art at Trinity, the sculpture was installed in 1983, probably shortly after the black-and-white photograph was taken. (Moore designed the original in 1953-54.) In the older photograph the 166-foot Murchison Tower, built in 1964 and named for Trinity trustee Frank Murchison, is visible.
The juxtaposed photographs draw attention to the tower as a sculptural object and reveal subtle changes in this part of Trinity’s campus. The main difference is the transformation of the Esplanade’s centerpiece from water to grass.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.