This photograph depicts the Trinity University Swimming Pool and its dramatic siting against the rocky cliff face that divides upper and lower campus. This complex was part of Ford’s original campus plan and was the first facility constructed for Trinity’s physical education department. The pool building dates to 1952, and was finally inaugurated in 1958. Originally, the pool itself was designed to be seventy-five by thirty-five feet, but President Laurie proposed to build an Olympic-sized pool instead. Costs almost stopped the project, but a $60,000 donation from Trinity student Harold Byrd Jr., in honor of his parents and brother, allowed its construction to continue. Since its completion, the pool has remained much the same as it was fifty years ago; this photograph illustrates that the most notable change is the absence of the diving board that originally faced the cliff.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.