This unit explores the ways in which language--a way of knowing that we unconsciously use and depend on every second of the day--easily serves more as a manipulative enemy than a trustworthy friend.
Through the IB Literature and Theory of Knowledge courses, this cross-curricular unit tackles the philosophical and epistemological question: to what extent does language manipulate truth? It's not a matter of if language tricks us, but to what extent language tricks us. As for truth? Well, what is truth anyway?
In the TOK curriculum, students will examine the abstract concepts of "truth" and "language" through autodidactic projects, researching complex theories and philosophers, and class activities to come to their own conclusions of what these terms mean and begin to formulate an answer to the driving question.
Meanwhile, in their Literature class, students will apply what they've learned in TOK to the book 1984; while reading, students will analyze how language and truth play a role in the book and the ways in which language is used to manipulate the truth.
For their end product, students will create a TOK presentation answering the driving question (KQ) and an underground magazine for their literature class that employs their conclusion to the driving question.
Ford, Krissy and Bellande, Rachel, "Language and the Manipulation of Truth" (2017). Understanding by Design: Complete Collection. 389.
2. TOK Presentation on Epistemology.pptx (948 kB)
3. TOK Plato's Cave.pptx (2330 kB)
4. TOK Personal and Shared Knowledge.pptx (303 kB)
5. TOK The Theories of Truth Assignment .docx (5 kB)
6. TOK The Allegory of the Cave_The Matrix.docx (259 kB)
7. TOK Presentation Rubric.docx (8 kB)
8. Theory of Knowledge Guide Book.pdf (1624 kB)
8. TOK Book.jpg (456 kB)
9. TOK Example TOK Presentation--Take Notes.docx (12 kB)
9. TOK Knowledge Question Extraction flow charts.docx (5 kB)
9. TOK Knowledge Questions.pptx (459 kB)
10. TOK Presentation Graphic Organizer .docx (12 kB)
TOK *Example The Power of Language.pptx (9138 kB)
TOK Me as a knower Activity.doc (6 kB)
1. IB LIT Literature Daily Lessons.docx (15 kB)
2. IB LIT To What Extent Does Language Manipulate Truth_.pptx (158 kB)
3. IB LIT Your Newspeak Dictionary Rubric.docx (13 kB)
4. IB LIT Newspeak Dictionary.docx (162 kB)
5. IB LIT “Two Minutes Hate”.docx (174 kB)
6. IB LIT Newspaper Rubric.docx (27 kB)
7. IB LIT Track Your Speech for a Day Assignment.docx (214 kB)
IB LIT Rubric for IOP HL_SL.docx (272 kB)
IB LIT Socratic Seminar Rubric.docx (7 kB)
IB LIT Socratic Seminars Everything.docx (14 kB)